If you're an American citizen, please follow the steps below to create a YouCaring fundraiser for your own cause.
STEP 1: CREATE A YOUCARING ACCOUNT
- Click here to create a YouCaring account and start building your fundraiser:
STEP 2: SET YOUR GOAL
- Make sure to select the correct currency, as the currency can’t be changed after your fundraiser has been created. American citizens must receive donations in U.S. Dollars.
- Choose a moderate, realistic goal so you can create momentum. You can always increase or decrease this goal at any time during your fundraiser.
More info here>>
STEP 3: IDENTIFY YOUR FUNDRAISER
- Your fundraising title can be up to 60 characters long including spaces.
- After you create your fundraiser, you will be able to modify the title at any time. Here's how>>
STEP 4: SELECT A CATEGORY
- If you’re an employee of a registered nonprofit organization and starting a fundraiser for your organization, select “Nonprofits” as the category. This will enable your fundraiser to collect mailing addresses from your donors so that you can later issue tax receipts.
STEP 5: TELL YOUR STORY
- Your fundraiser description can be up to 4,000 characters long including spaces.
- Not sure exactly what to say yet? Don't worry! You'll be able to edit the description at any time during your fundraiser. Here's how>>
- After you create your fundraiser, you’ll be able to add additional photos and YouTube videos to your fundraiser gallery. Here’s how>>
- If you’re not ready to share your fundraiser, check the box next to “Make my Fundraiser Private”. If your fundraiser is Private, only someone with a direct link to the page will be able to view it. If you later decide you want people to be able to search for your fundraiser on our site, you can make it “Public”. Here’s how>>
STEP 6: SELECT YOUR DONATION PROCESSOR
- As an American citizen collecting donations in U.S. Dollars, you will have the option to use either WePay or PayPal to process donations to your fundraiser. For more information on why YouCaring recommends WePay for fundraisers that are based in the U.S., see this article.
STEP 7: WEPAY OPTION
- If you've selected PayPal to process your donations, please scroll down to the section below.
- WePay requires that the stated beneficiary of a fundraiser or a close family member manage and withdraw the donations raised to the page. Since you are raising money for your own cause, if able, you should select “Me” on this page so that you can manage the donations directly. If you're ill or otherwise unable to manage the donations, you can select "Someone Else" on this page to have a parent, sibling, child, or spouse manage the donations on your behalf. Friends and distant relatives cannot manage the donations.
- On the next page, you will be asked to provide contact information for the WePay account. WePay will automatically create an account for you under the email address you provide and link it to the fundraiser so that the page can begin processing donations. They'll also send an email from email@example.com with instructions on how to activate and set up the account.
- Any donations raised to your fundraiser will be processed by your WePay account and automatically deposited into the selected bank account or sent to you by check.
STEP 7: PAYPAL OPTION
- If you’ve selected to use PayPal to process donations to your fundraiser, provide your PayPal account information on this screen.
- Please make sure the spelling and capitalization of the name and email address you provide exactly matches the information associated with your beneficiary's PayPal account.
- Any donations raised to the page will be immediately processed by and deposited into your PayPal account. You can then log into PayPal.com at any time to withdraw the funds to a bank account.
STEP 8: SPREAD THE WORD
Congrats! You just created a YouCaring fundraiser!
Now it's time to spread the word to your network. For tips on how to build an effective outreach campaign, check out this article: